Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Renu Singh: Unedited material collected for Effective people by Prof TV Rao


RENU SINGH



I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa

In our constant struggle in life and with our hectic schedules, we come across stories and instances. The stories shake us to our core and the instances are hardly ever forgotten. But we get up, brush things aside and carry on with our lives; as humans living in this concrete jungle what else are we supposed to do? Were you ever in a situation where you wanted to help a stranger in distress but did not do so because others also did not do? Did you come back thinking, how could I not have the courage to stand up? If these thoughts have ever crossed your mind, then, you are not the only one: Courage is a tricky thing.

Nelson Mandela had once said “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear”. Men and women who have conquered this fear live all around us, people who didn’t turn a blind eye to gory events and stood up to reach others. One such story is of Advocate Renu D Singh who founded a NGO- Samadhan which runs a 24x7 Legal Helpline for women in distress and ‘Rape Crisis Intervention Centre- RCIC’ at Dehradun Uttarakhand. Samadhan strives to provide an access to criminal justice system and social justice system to the underprivileged section of society. She prefers to call them as proud survivors rather than victim.

Ms Renu D Singh comes from a royal background of Dhaulagarh state of pre independence times. She is from the lineage of Raja Fateh Singh of Rana dynasty. She gives credit of her inclination towards social work to her grandmother Late Kuntala Devi. “My grandmother was a freedom fighter herself. She was one of my early age mentor along with my father.” Her father, Late Dr Shakti Dhar, was an educationist who always encouraged them to excel in studies. Her family has timelessly and relentlessly worked for the people of India and as she was a sensitive kid, she inherits all those values and attributes. For her, activism is akin to patriotism and by this she is contributing to the nation.

She established Samadhan in 1987 and started to build its capacity. She says, “I wanted to do my own capacity building in legal aspect so I did my post-graduation with English literature and then completed my LLB (bachelor of Law) from University of Lucknow and got registered with bar council of Allahabad as an advocate.” She knew that to deliver her best to community she had to be well focused to her goal i.e a mission for common citizens’ easy and direct access upon criminal justice system. She said that through Samadhan Dalit Woman Legal Helpline, she has been able to rescue and empower around 3800 women victims of violence and around 1700 women are now empowered as mainstream legal professionals to live with dignity without being tagged as survivors of sexual violence. Most of them have provided with a chance to study law and become lawyers themselves. She has never charged any amount from these oppressed women. “From day one I made my choice to work as an activist lawyer/advocate and also promised to myself that I would never charge any fee from my women clients i.e. the oppressed women.”

The idea of activism came in her mind at a very tender age after witnessing a gruesome incident. As a fifteen year old kid, while coming back from school, she saw a poor girl standing in a queue at ration shop. She was smeared in filth and blood was flowing from beneath her skirt. “I couldn’t ignore her silent yet loud cries of pain. I drove my bike towards her and she hopped at the back. She told me not to stop.” She took the kid to her home and her mom called her lady doctor friend. The doctor examined her and found out that she was sexually assaulted. The girl told them that she was raped by her own father several times.

By that time, a crowd had gathered outside her house and started banging the gate. The girl’s father was shouting to get the girl but the little girl refused to go with him. Then police came and found that mother of girl was living in the village and was left by her husband. The girl was handed over to her mother. What shocked them was that mother refused to lodge a complaint against her husband and he was allowed to go scot free. “I was not able to do anything as I was a minor myself. For days and nights I could not sleep as to what would have happened to the little girl in the village.” Six months later, Renu learnt that the 12-year-old was married off to a 42-year-old widower only to be found dead in a village pond within a week.

“I was so shocked. My tender mind was not able to come to the terms with whatever had taken place. I understood now the very purpose of my life and since that day I am only focused to the cause of elimination of all kind of violence against women and child.” After that she took a firm decision to form a work group of people willing to serve the society and work towards most needed police reforms to make common citizens’ direct access upon criminal justice system and social justice system. With firm determination and will power, she started the Samadhan with initial capital of 10 rupees. The number of the volunteers in the group increased gradually.

She rescues women from the oppression of the society, counsels them and provides them shelter at her center which is one of the best Crisis intervention center in entire north India with shelter for fifty women .This center has nine most important services for survivors of violence under one roof . Reporting, Rescue, Stay, food, Clothing, Psychological support, Legal support, counseling, professional education for totally free of cost. These women then become the integral part of her task force and help her to rescue other women in need and crisis. “Many of the rescued girls are now living and studying in a dignified manner and most of them are studying law.” Says  Ms Singh.
One of the major objectives of Samadhan is to spread awareness about the human rights, especially about the laws and policies to the people. “These tasks of creating awareness is done by interns by conducting 120 legal awareness camps every year. We provide them with the training to perform effectively.” Singh is a regular speaker on well known FM Radio Channels on Women empowerment and Legal awareness programs. Samadhan is not only limited to take care of the oppressed women but the underprivileged and oppressed section of the society. Its beneficiaries consists of the school dropout children from hilly rural area, society oppressed person who are being trained to find their feet in the mainstream life. Samadhan came up with Mobile Legal Clinic (MLC) aims to make women their own protectors. Survivors work as paralegal volunteers to provide legal aid for their community in collaboration District Legal Service Authorities. The empowered survivors drive down the Mobile Legal Clinic Vehicle i.e. ‘Justice on Wheels’to deliver free legal assistance right at the the doorsteps of women in distress.

Ms. Renu had to face stiff challenges from the society at the start of her initiative. “ It is not so easy to fight against crime against women and child, our society still is very primitive when it comes across the Evil of Rape Crime. They isolate the victim and also look down upon the woman who supports and fights for them. Unfortunately they connect Rape with the Character of woman who is raped they expect women to maintain the culture of ‘Silence and Shame’.

There will always be people who suffer with misogynic nuances and would try to pull you down, who will try to make a dent in your belief system about Gender Justice, but there will always be people who will stand by you , support you.” In several cases, there was pressure from the powerful perpetrators to drop the cases. She knows that she is under threat all the time because she is up against many bullies which includes bunch of corrupt people representing state machinery or politics but that doesn’t deter her in continuing her activism and social work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Below Excerpts are from the interview taken by Akash Kaushik over internet

Effective People by T. V. Rao
Anyone who discovers inner talent and uses it to make a difference in the lives of other people by benefitting them can be considered an effective person. We are all born talented and grow up different settings.
We thank you for agreeing to give some of your valuable time and guide us in coming to some conclusions about what makes people effective in any field of their work.. We hope lessons drawn from books like this through case studies of people like You will help multiply effectiveness and spread the message.

1. What inspired to do whatever you have done for making a difference to others? What are the sources of inspiration? (If you like you may mention any one or two instances that changed your life and made you start something new or something different that laid the foundation for your work).
I got into activism at my teenage years at the age of fifteen (I am 52 years now) due to my early exposure to the nationwide scenario of post emergency gross violation of human rights and deteriorated standards of Democratic structure of civil society as a whole. I was a sensitive and responsible youth always keen and receptive to apprehend and visualize the global human rights aspects and role of common global citizens to upkeep the democratic values of the nations. My family also played a vital role to provide me a conducive environment of academics and inspired me to serve humanity .My Grandmother Late Kuntala Devi ,a graduate and a freedom fighter herself and my father Late Dr Shakti Dhar ,an educationist, both were my early age mentors by replying to all my questions and queries so patiently.
I was just fifteen ,one day while returning from my school i came across a bizarre incident of spotting a little poor dalit girl all smeared in filth and blood flowing down from beneath her skirts rolling down through her thin legs.....she was standing in a queue at ration shop with visible fear in her eyes....i slowed down my mobike to fill the petrol from adjacent pump....but i could not ignore her silent yet such loud cries of pain and helplessness......without wasting a moment i drove close to her and caught her feeble little hands.....she hopped on the back seat of my vehicle as if she was just waiting for some one to rescue her........i drove away fast before anyone could stop us......over hearing people shouting from behind ......the girl was telling me not to stop .......i reached my home at the backyard and hid the mobike and took the girl inside to my mom. On seeing my mom i cried furiously and pointed at little girl.....my mom understoodThe gravity of situation and called her lady doctor friend who arrived in minutes to our help. On checking the girl she told my mom that she was sexually assaulted by her own father and to her further shock it was revealed that she was pregnant too. On talking further to the little girl we came to know that she was raped multiple times by her own alcoholic father. – it was a case of INCEST in cold blood !!!
In no time there was a crowd and noise out side our house and girl’s father was shouting for the little girl. Meanwhile my father also reached home to tackle the situation and called the police. Police came but girl’s father was supported by some local politicians who were pressurising the police to give the custody of minor victim to the father only.....but the little girl refused to go with him.... .finally police found out that her real mother was left in a village by her father and he remarried an urban woman. Her real mother took the girl away with her and police let the father go scot free on pretext of no complaint given by her mother.
I was not able to do anything as i was a minor myself .for days and nights i could not sleep as to what would happened to the little girl in the village .one day i dared to slip away from my school and reached her village to find out the welfare of the little girl...... some how searched her small hut And found her mother sitting out side .....she flatly refused to talk to me regarding the girl....when i insisted to meet her she then told me that girl was dead......i was shattered...i then pestered her to let me know how she died.....she told that village elders forced her to get married to a 42 years old widower man from the community.she was sent with him but seven days after the marriage her dead body was found floating in a pond . . . . . .she looked into my eyes and just made a gesture to go away......i was so shocked.....my tender mind was not able to come to the terms with whatever had taken place......i drove back heavy heartedly to my place.......I understood now the very purpose of my life......and since that day i am only focused to the cause of elimination of all kind of violence against women and child.
I told my grand mother about my findings and also confided to her about my aim to form a work group of people willing to serve the society and work towards most needed police reforms to Make common citizens’ direct access upon criminal justice system and social justice system.I was told by my elders that it was not so easy for a young women to work in a field of activism and police reform that too in a time of total chaos and shattered democratic structure . I founded Samadhan as a work group and started gearing up primarily with building my own Capacity into legal aspects and also focused on my formal education . while working for resource building and organizational development.i did my post graduation and then completed my LLB from University of Lucknow with flying colors.i got registered with bar council of Allahabad as an advocate. From day one i made my choice to work as an activist lawyer/advocate and also promised to myself that i would never charge any fee from my clients i.e. the oppressed women. Started learning the advocacy for my mission since then. .
Meanwhile got married to my teenage friend and lover from a well affluent Intellectual Bengali family of Kolkata. Also gave birth to our son, he is a brilliant army officer now.

2. What are your suggestions for getting inspiration to - recognise and draw talent and use it for doing simple things- that may eventually become great things and make a difference in the lives of others?
I always believed in following by examples hence i delivered my best to my mission Samadhan. I myself drew immense inspiration from the teachings of Swami Vivekanand and
The universal theory of ‘KARMA’ from Srimad Bhagwad Geeta. One can only have control on once own Karmas.....so we have to keep on working upon our own perfection with commitment. One has to assess once own strengths and weaknesses and accordingly make a
Work plan suitable to available resources.
Being ambitious is good but being ambitious at some one else’s cost is immoral. The theory of ‘ASTEYA’ from Srimad Bhgwad Geeta has really made me honest and austere in all my undertakings.
3. What do you consider as your own strong points that helped you to accomplish whatever you have been able to? When did you discover them? How? How did you cultivate them?
My strongest point is my strong will to committ and stand by my conviction in most adverse
situations as challenge. I do not give up my goals till i reach them.
I cognized my strong will power when i started mission ‘Samadhan’ with meagre amount of rupees Ten as my working capital.....and i had to work very hard to earn for my mission. I worked as interpreter& translator of French language,worked as freelance researcher & journalist,and so many other works i did just to keep my mission going.
All my situations taught me to strive ahead and also groomed myself as an effective public speaker. I also learned it very early age that no Great Mission can be accomplished without a team.....i have a wonderful team of people to support my mission.
I could cultivate my strong points by being patient, self observant, positive communicator and learning from my own mistakes . i am a self motivated person .
4. What in your opinion are some of the qualities that people need to cultivate to make a difference to others?
The most important quality of an effectively good person is to be a senstive human being ,stand by Truth, justice ,and honesty.. they have to be a ‘Constant Learner’. Unconditional Compassion to all living being. Being Peaceful from within. Should be a positive communicator by default. There has to be an infinite thirst for the finer pursuits of life...like
Taste for literature, fine arts and humanities with a scientific bent of mind.
5. What messages would you like to give for others to be or to become an effective person? All human beings are born to serve some great purpose for the humanity .....so our first aim should be to find out exactly what we are supposed to follow as our goal. Any one can be positively Effective person by being focused to goal and by being honest to self. So be honest to yourself!
                                                 
Part 2: (to be commented after answering the above questions)

Given below are some qualities the author has observed from my earlier studies on effective people in organizations. Please comment on these qualities or principles:
1. They have a goal in life- small or big, or mission or vision etc.-
True , a goal or mission with clear vision is must.
2. They create Turning points that keep turning their life for good and take them step by step .-
Yes ,turning points are to be recognized as turning points......most people mistake them as ‘hurdle’.......a step by step approach finally turns into Success.
3. They recognise their strengths and leverage them.-
They certainly do.........and work upon them in a SYSTEMATIC way to draw the best out of them.i am an example myself.
4. They identify their vulnerabilities and manage them. For example some people have managed their temper to their advantage or introvert nature for their growth etc.
Yes,Indetifying once own vulnerabilities and managing them or correcting them timely
according to the need of the Mission .It has made me feel comfortable with myself.
5. They think Positive and work with hope of success. Each one develops her/his own way of being positive.
Sure, one has to be always full of positivity and infinite hope for success .Each one may develop his /her own way of being positive but to me the basics are always same- that is -
*being positive in Thoughts.
*being positive in action.
*being positive in words.
6. They manage difficult times with perseverance.
Yes, there is nothing called as ‘difficult times’......its the perception of individual what makes a person act the way he /she does...perseverance indeed is needed to make right decision at right time for right cause..
7. Their Values are their greatest resource. Integrity and character are the most important. Yes, Effective people do have a strong foundation of good values coupled with integrity and high character never compromised on my principles and values.it gave me so much
Endurance and inner power to sustain.
8. They manage their time. “The time is what God has given you. How much you never know. Live as though it short and get the best by giving your best”.
Very true ! time is most precious entity in the universe...i lived my each day as last day
Of my life......doing best effort to deliver something worthwhile for the mission and the world.
9. They are compassionate and have an Integrative mind set. It is integrative mind that succeeds and derives happiness. Divisive minds are always unhappy.
Yes indeed ! we have to get rid of negative emotions like- anger ,hate, greed, lust, jealous, and violence....thus being compassionate unconditionally to all, has really helped me to elevate myself from the baser things to the Higher pursuits of life.I actually feel very contented and happy......with inner bliss !
10. They think of the last day. Keep thinking of those who are not here. What have they carried with them and what have they left behind. They decide what they want to carry with them you and what you want to leave behind. They begin with their own obituary.
It is very true.......our real introduction is always post humous ......how we are remembered after we are gone far away from the world.......the energies emitted
by us during our life time do have strong reflections ......when we are alive we do act
oblivion to the fact that each action is being recorded by the nature ,time and space.

By- adv renu d singh.
Samadhan Dalit women Legal Helpline.
256- Krishna vihar .lane -1,
Jakhan, Rajpur road,
Dehradun,U.K.pn cd-248001.
Website - www.samadhanngo.org / eml - < samadhan09 @red iffmail.com >

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References
http://www.samadhanngo.org/president.php?id=6
http://www.theweekendleader.com/Heroism/2088/saving-girls.html

 Rest of the information is provided by the person over emails.

No comments:

Post a Comment