Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Mr. Virendra Singh : Unedited material collected for Effective people by Prof TV Rao

Mr. Virendra Singh
“The act of replacing an empty mind with an open one is called education.” Irrespective of the gender of a child, he or she has the right to get educated. Educating a child leads to educating a nation. A gallant person who has made ‘educating others’ the motto of his life is Mr. Virendra Singh.
Since independence, the illiteracy rate of women has increased significantly. As per a recent report, the ratio of illiterate women is almost double the rate of illiterate men. As of 2011, 34.5% of all Indian women were illiterate (as compared to only 17.8% of Indian men). The percentage of children not enrolled in school amounts to 70% girls. In Anupshahar, the condition is even more unfortunate, where almost 85% of the girls lack access to basic primary education. Other contributing factors to this dismay are abuse of rural females, child marriage including forced marriage of girls below 18 years. Girls after reaching the adolescent stage are often denied to education and basic medical care. (Statistical data taken from http://www.education4change.org/why-girls.html )
The common effect of such malpractice is: increased dependency of women financially. This dependence makes them suffer the prevailing violence. They don’t have control on the family income, which makes them devoid of nutritional and healthy diet, inviting many health issues. These further increases the rate of child marriage and this way the vicious cycle continues. Lack of education makes the women unaware of the family planning and other relevant concepts and hence leads to increase in population and other economic distress. Not everyone pay attention to serious issues like these. Still it is because of a few responsible citizens that this country is still in a progressing mode. One such person who has risen above the selfish desires to do something really indispensable is Mr. Virendra Singh.
Mr. Virendra Singh was born in the town of Anupshahar. He was schooled in Aligarh Muslim University and completed his engineering in Punjab. After his engineering he joined a textile industry, but he then moved to USA to complete his Masters in Textile Engineering. After his post graduation, he joined DuPont and remained as a part of it till his retirement. Soon after his retirement as South Asia Head of DuPont, Washington, he started working on his aspiring dream to serve his town. His prime concern was the education of the girls in rural sector. While the lack of education was a remarkable muddle, the existence of caste system and female feticide in the rural areas made the life of women even more miserable.
At the beginning of his work, he only had one dollar with him. So he analyzed where he should invest the same to earn the maximum gain. He then decided to open a school at Anupshahar explicitly for girls and to provide them a decent education. In 2000, he started Pardada Pardadi Educational Society, called PPES to improve the lives of girls in rural India. PPES is situated in Anupshahar, Uttar Pradesh. This place is one among the least educated ones.  In 2011, almost 97% of the students of PPES passed the UP Board exam. This success was even furthered when in 2012, all the students of PPES in all grades passed, i.e. a stunning 100% pass percentage. PPES aims at educating girls and making them self sustaining. It believes that education can free them from poverty and violence. Girls can graduate from the school at an appropriate age after which they will be eligible for marriage. Apart from this, they will be capable to earn and hence can become financially independent. This will certainly make the girls aware of their self worth and they can control their own lives.  
Till date, Mr. Singh incentivizes the girl child education in two ways. They are
i)                    For each day a girl attends her school, Rs.10 is deposited in her bank account. The girl can access the amount once she becomes eligible for marriage, which certainly is possible after attaining 18 years of age or on attaining 21 years, whichever happens early. This deposit amount can extend up to Rs 30000
ii)                  Specific trainings are provided in vocational skills. This makes the girls independent and they can save from their earning after the completion of their schooling.
This saving amount can go up to Rs 1 lakh in 3 years. This increases the chances of decent living of a girl. Mr. Singh believes that it is just the beginning and there are still miles to go. He targets expanding his facilities from 1000 to around 50000 students along their families in his tehsil.
There are different community programmes which PPES have set forth. They include Toilet construction, Health and cataract camps. In 2008, PPES launched an initiative “Rage to Pads”. The idea was to produce low cost menstrual pads because most of the village women don’t have access to sanitary pads. These women use Rags which can lead to several infections and illness. This programme was also initiated keeping employment opportunities in mind. The machine was bought and the first lot of the pads was sold. The pack costs Rs20, for which the students paid Rs.10 only, and contained 10 pads along with instructions for proper disposal. The materials used in the pads are biodegradable making it environment friendly.
Mr. Singh quotes some instances of his life during interview, by stating that, “It has been observed over the years that immigrants in any country become very conscious of their own identity. I was an immigrant in US for more than 38 years. Therefore, it was natural that I became very conscious of being an Indian, still for whatever unknown reasons, I was doing very well in the hierarchy of the company. I was working for DuPont. My experience has been that the higher one moves in the hierarchy of the company/ society. The more one gets, the opportunity to work widens. Generally, they are intellectual giants of the society. I had the opportunity to work by synchronizing shoulders with such individuals. In the process, I learned lots of things and my key learning about the western culture was that the prevailing society believes, if a leader is surrounded by a sea of misery of his/her fellow citizens and the Leader is not actively involved in improving their quality of life then there must be some major fault in his leadership style. I began as an Indian and initially I felt that my leadership was in question because I wasn’t ‘actively’ doing anything about it. Some instances are:
i)                    In a meeting, the chairman of the board asked the board members to have 15 seconds of silence because 590 people in Sam’s country died due to two trains running in to each other. Now every board member knows that technology exists to prevent such an accident. It had to be pure human negligence. In the next board meeting, the same chairman asked the board members to have 15 seconds of silence because 350 people in Sam’s country died when a boat drowned during Monsoon rain. Head line read that boat capacity was only 100 persons. Now, may be the chairman sincerely felt sorry for me and for those who unnecessarily lost their lives. However, I on the receiving end felt that the board members were probably thinking if it wasn’t for them, Sam would have been there either on such trains or boats. I think it makes it quite clear how an Indian would be feeling on attending such meetings every now and then”,
ii)                  Once a lady friend in Paris called me just after returning from her trip to India. “Sam I am really sorry to tell you that animals in India have absolutely no rights” and, then she proceeded to give me several gross examples of the treatment that several animals received in India. I listened to my friend patiently and told her that the following weekend, I will be in Paris and then I would explain the situation. I was planning to tell her that while we are talking about animal rights, I would love to share with her that India has been the nation that talked about even insects’ rights as in the Jain religion. I was going to tell that we Indians know about the rights of every being inside out. However, due to poverty we have to set priorities and humans certainly come before animals, unfortunate but true. The day I was to meet my friend, I picked up the Herald Tribune newspaper and the head line read: A Minister in India goes to jail for stealing animal fodder money. After reading that, I decided not to bring animal rights issue with my friend and to her credit; she never showed me the newspaper.
He also said, “Over the years I have faced thousands of such situations. Anyways, finally I decided to do something about it. I then, discussed it with my wife and daughters. Initially they were concerned about my safety (Bulandshahr is an area notorious for high crime rate; probably the worst in India) but finally we all got aligned. We all agreed that the day my younger daughter gets a job, I can go back to the village where I was born. Ena (my younger daughter) got the job in December 1999. I informed my boss about my intentions and it took him three months to find my replacement and in March 2000, I returned to my village to do what I have been doing till now, what I always wanted to do i.e. eliminate poverty from rural India. It was later in life that I realized that I am a much focused person. I can’t read seven books at a time. I read one book at a time. Also I had the experience of starting large projects which consisted of different countries, cities, comments - so, creating a poverty elimination model was a thing, I felt I can put my arms around. Regarding cultivation of my strong points, there is a business saying – ‘People grow business and businesses grow people’. My strong points started cultivating, which I assume, came by me growing business for DuPont (the company I worked for).”
When asked about the challenges he encounter, he replied,” U.P is both the worst governed and the most criminal states of India. One may have all the money in the world but if one is not willing to bribe, then it takes minimum four years to start even a very small primary school. Whereas my promise to myself was to start the same within three months (school is the first of the four steps, one has to take to eliminate poverty systematically). Secondly, everybody in U.P. believes that if you are rich, then you must be corrupt and so, cheating a cheat is a fair game. Initially 80% of the persons cheated on us on all aspects possible. Thirdly, the girl child is the most neglected creature in this part of India. So, they all, especially politicians, suspected my intentions. Lastly, the Govt. of U.P uses the Indian law system to prevent one from doing any good because that would further expose their indifference and inadequacy. They take pride in screwing you and the bragging about it – “See, I taught him a lesson! What does he think of himself, just because he has returned from USA? So on.” Anyways, we overcame all the difficulties and now all four verticals (Education; Health and Hygiene; Economic Empowerment and Community Development) are operating and our energies are being directed towards expanding to more and more villages.”
When we asked him about the inspiration to initiate the process, He told “I was in the industry for 38 years. I managed the businesses globally. I started the work, believing mainly in the idea that the only way to eliminate poverty was by adopting the hard core business approach. And I still believe in the same. Therefore, returning to my village and creating a model which would eliminate poverty, was a business challenge for me. Because of my experience I was confident that I can do it, the only challenge was, doing it in India and that too in Anoopshahr, U.P., the place where no industry, no power, no roads, no medical facilities and no running water exists. May be because of all these reasons it became more fun” He adds saying that the first and foremost hurdle is gaining the trust of parents. He is always questioned of his intention to promote only girl child education. The villagers even doubt his intention to provide job to their daughters after school. The only way to convince these people is to help them with their queries with absolute perseverance. He elaborates how he started the school with only 45 students and how slowly he started making people believe in him with currently 1400 girls registered in her institute. However, the road has never been too smooth, as there are scopes of fathers sticking their eyes on free clothes, bicycles and books by taking advantage of their own daughters.
Mr. Singh believes that the encouragement that he receives is solely from the smiles of these little girls. The feeling that he can bring a difference in someone’s life is precious. It is his passion to help others which motivates him inevitably. He defines an effective person as the one who discovers the inner talent and utilizes it to make a difference in the lives of other people. He adds,” Successful people all over the world have certain common traits. They Dream big! Like Gandhiji who fought for Azaadi, Sardar Patel who again fought for freedom, Tendulkar who turned out to be the best cricketer of the world and many more! They convert dreams into vision; A vision into a personal commitment. This commitment facilitates the generation of ideas; these ideas help to give the Vision, a practical shape.  In my opinion any one can dream and if they sincerely believe in their dream, they will get the ideas to actualize their dreams.”



Primary Source: Interview of Mr. Virendra Singh conducted on 29th April.
1.      What inspired to do whatever you have done for making a difference to others? What are the sources of inspiration?  (If you like you may mention any one or two instances that changed your life and made you start something new or something different that laid the foundation for your work)?

It has been observed over the years that immigrants in any country become very conscious of their own identity. I was an immigrant in US for more than 38 years. Therefore, it was natural that I became very conscious of been an Indian additionally, for whatever unknown reasons, I was doing very well in the hierarchy of the company. I was working for Dupont. My experience has been that the higher one moves in the hierarchy of the company/ society, the more one gets the opportunity to work and rub shoulders with extremely smart Individuals. Generally, they are intellectual giants of the society. Naturally, I had the opportunity to work and rub shoulders with such individuals. In the process I learned lots of things and my key learning about the western culture was that these societies strongly believe in the following:
If a leader is surrounded by a sea of misery of his/her fellow citizens and the Leader is not actively involved in improving their quality of life than there must be some major fault in the leader’s characters.
I begin an Indian; felt that my leadership was in question because I wasn’t ‘actively’ doing anything about it. Below are only a couple of examples although I faced hundred and thousands of such incidents.

a)      Board Meetings
In a meeting the chairman of the board asked the board members to have 15 seconds of silence because “590 people in Sam’s country died due to two trains running in to each other”. Now every board member knows that technology exists to prevent such an accident – it had to be pure human negligence.
In the next board MTG the same chairman asked the board member to have 15 seconds of silence because “350 people in Sam’s country died when a boat drowned during Monsoon rain”. Head line read that boat capacity was only 100 persons.
Now, may be the chairman sincerely felt sorry for me and for those who unnecessarily lost their lives. However, I on the receiving end felt that the board members were probably thinking “If it wasn’t for us Sam would be either on such trains or boats”. I think it makes it quite clear how any Indian would feel attending such meetings every now and then.
b)     A friend’s call.
A lady friend in Paris (France) called me just after returning from her trip to India. “Sam I am really sorry to tell you that animals in India have absolutely no rights”- and, then she proceeded to give me several gross examples of the treatment that several animals here received.
I listened to my friend patiently and told her that the following weekend, I will be in Paris and then I would explain the situation. I was planning to tell her that while we are talking about animal rights, I would love to share with her that India has been the nation that talked about even insects’ rights – as in the Jain religion. I was going to tell that we Indians know about the rights of every being inside out. However, due to poverty we have to set priorities and human come before animals… unfortunate but true.
The day I was to meet my friend, I picked up the Herald Tribune newspaper and the head line read: A Minister in India goes to jail for stealing animal fodder money.
After reading that, I decided not to bring animal rights issue with my friend and to her credit; she never showed me the newspaper.
I just gave you two examples, over the years I faced thousands of such situations. Anyway, finally I decided to do something about it. I then, discussed it with my wife and daughters. Initially they were concerned about my safety (Bulandshahr is an area notorious for high crime rate; probably the worst in India) but finally we all got aligned. We all agreed that the day my younger daughter gets a job, I can go back to the village where I was born. Ena (my younger daughter) got the job in December 1999. I inform my boss about my intentions and it took him three months to find my replacement and in March 2000, I returned to my village to do what I have been doing till now, what I always wanted to do - Eliminate poverty from rural India.
2.      What are the challenges that you faced while working on your initiative?

U.P is both the worst governed and the most criminal states of India. One may have all the money in the world but if one is not willing to bribe, then it takes minimum four years to start even a very small primary school. Whereas my promise to myself was to start the same within three months (school is the first of the four steps, one has to take to eliminate poverty systematically).
Secondly, everybody in U.P. believes that if you are rich, than you must be corrupt and so, cheating a cheat is a fair game. Initially 80% of the persons cheated on us on all aspects possible.
Thirdly, the girl child is the most neglected creature in this part of India. So, they all, especially politicians, suspected my intentions.
Lastly, the Govt. of U.P uses the India law system to prevent one from doing any good because that would further expose their indifference and inadequacy. They take pride in screwing you and the bragging about it – “See, I taught him a lesson! What does he think of himself? … just because he has returned from USA?”
Anyway we overcame all the difficulties and now all four verticals (Education; Health & Hygiene; Economic Empowerment and Community Development) are operating and our energies are being directed towards expanding to more and more villages.

3.      What is your opinion on getting inspiration and using your talent for doing simple things that eventually become great and make a difference in the lives of others?

I was in the industry for 38 years. I managed the businesses globally. I started the work believing mainly in the idea that the only way to eliminate poverty was by adopting the hard core business approach. And I still believe in the same. Therefore, returning to my village and creating a model which would eliminate poverty, was a business challenge for me. Because of my experience I was confident that I can do it- the only challenge was, doing it in India and that too in Anoopshahr, U.P., the place where no industry exits, no power, no roads, no medical facilities, no running water- no nothing! May be because of all these reasons it became more fun

4.      What do you consider as your own strong points that helped you to accomplish whatever you have been able to? When did you discover them? How? How did you cultivate them?

It was later in life I realized that I am a much focused person. I can’t read seven books at a time. I read one book at a time. Secondly, I had the experience of starting large projects which consisted of different countries, cities, comments - so, creating a poverty Elimination Model was a thing, I felt I can put my arms around.
Regarding cultivation of my strong points, there is a business saying – ‘People grow business and businesses grow people’. The growth of my strong points, I assume, came by me growing business for DuPont (the company I worked for)

5.      What in your opinion are some of the qualities that people need to cultivate to make a difference to others?

Successful people all over the world have following common traits:
They Dream big!
Like Gandhi who fought for Azaadi, Sardar Patel who again fought for freedom, Tendulkar who turned out to be the best cricketer of the world and many more!
They convert dream into vision; A vision into a personal commitment
Commitment facilitates the generation of ideas; these ideas help to give the Vision, a practical shape.
In my opinion any one can dream and if they sincerely believe in their dream, they will get the ideas to actualize their dreams.

6.      What messages would you like to give for others to be or to become an effective person?
If one sincerely loves something, if one sincerely cares about something, then one can achieve any task or challenge in the world.


Below are references from which the secondary data is collected on 1st & 4th May’15:
Reference Book: Unsung Beacons – Stories of people for whom humanity matters, April 2013, CSIM Publications, Chennai 600116




No comments:

Post a Comment